The best laid plans

Monday March 27, 2006

We’re going to wait for the end of the week before throwing in the towel but I fear that our sale is stuck, well and truly, and is now unlikely to bear fruit. The guy at the start of the chain is, for whatever reason, clearly unable to proceed. It’s still possible he may get his act together, miracles do happen, and I’m going to look awfully foolish if he does, but I’m now slipping into accepting the situation and wanting to activate our plan ‘B’.

Friday will see the point of no return beyond which we shall have to prepare the house for me to manage, and continue to sell, while Graham departs to Somerset for another season. We’ll not quit the deal at that point but when the house is ready to sell once more the argument for going back to the market clear and unencumbered by an offer that has come to naught will be unanswerable. I’d prefer it, should we come to that, for our buyers to force our hand by dropping out ahead of us.

I’m beyond cursing. Under the English system of property conveyance there’s nothing to be done about it, no penalty that can be exacted. Up to the point of exchange of contracts it’s a deal binding by word only and sometimes you come across people whose word turns out to be a commodity lacking in worth.

Needless to say, we’re both of us feeling a little down just now. We’ll get through it, but we had really hoped we’d not have to spend another summer apart.

Hey ho. It’s a sad fact that the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s