It’s not often that I come up with a new sandwich idea and it astonishes me that, after all these years, I haven’t done this one before. Or tasted it, either, which could mean that it’s genuinely new. I doubt that, but it is new to me:
PAN FRIED TOMATO SANDWICHES
For one serving:
- Butter two slices of bread as thinly as you can manage and set them aside.
- Slice one (very) large tomato, not too thin, and arrange in a single layer on the base of a frying pan you’ve sprayed with 1-cal olive oil.
- Cook quickly, turning once, and remove from the heat.
- Using a spatula, remove the tomato slices and place them carefully on one slice of bread.
- Apply the other slice of bread to the top, press lightly, and cut with a sharp knife into halves or quarters.
That’s it. Eat quickly, though if you’re a fan of the tomato as I am, you’ll need no encouragement once you’ve caught the aroma and tasted the indecent deliciousness.